With so many tooth replacement options available, it can be difficult choosing which one is most safe and effective. You’ve heard others talk about dentures, but what about dental implants? While there are many factors to consider when talking to your dentist, maybe it’s time to learn more about dental implants in Spring and how they can improve your oral health and give you the smile you’ve always wanted.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a safe and effective tooth replacement solution. Made of titanium, the implant is secured into the jawbone to prevent it from moving or shifting over time. A customized crown is created and placed on top of the implant, creating a new tooth that blends in seamlessly with the rest of your natural teeth.
What Are the Advantages?
If you are missing one or more teeth, dental implants provide many advantages. Obviously, you want to keep your smile as authentic and natural as possible, which is why these tooth replacements can give you a beautiful, healthy smile. Some of the advantages include:
- Durability: Dental implants are capable of handling the day-to-day wear and tear you put on your teeth. They’re anchored to the jawbone, so you don’t have to worry about them shifting.
- Long-Lasting: If you want a solution that can last for decades, dental implants are your best solution. However, you must commit to maintaining proper oral care.
- Natural Look and Feel. Do you want others to look at you and never notice you’ve had dental work? If so, dental implants are for you! Their placement sits below the gum line, in the jawbone. Unlike dentures that only sit atop the gum line, dental implants are virtually unnoticeable.
- Security. Forget accidental slippage while eating. This tooth replacement solution stays secure, allowing you to chew, eat, and speak without worry.
- Maintenance. Since your implant is permanently secured, you can brush and floss your teeth just like before! No need to soak your implant or remove for brushing purposes.
Are They Safe and Effective?
Dental implants, which have been used for half a century, are safe and effective. It is important to mention; however, that there can be complications if you do not properly care for your implants. Smoking can wreak havoc on your implant because of the nicotine’s effect on the body’s inability to heal quickly. If a process called osseointegration occurs, the dental implant won’t fuse to the jawbone and can cause the implant to fail.
It’s also important to choose a knowledgeable, well-trained implant dentist in Spring who will help minimize complications and ensure skillful handling of any problems, should they arise.
Don’t hesitate to talk to your dentist about the possibility of dental implants. After a thorough examination, you will learn if you are a good candidate for this safe and effective tooth replacement solution.
About the Author
Dr. Clifton Baldwin graduated from the University of Texas Dental School-Houston Branch. He has more than 30 years of experience practicing general and cosmetic dentistry. Using high-quality dentistry with the latest in technology, he and his team provide friendly, patient-centered care. If you need comprehensive dental implant services, the Dream Smile Team can help! For questions about our services, visit our website or call (281) 893-4746.